The National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory (NSCL) at Michigan State University(MSU), a world-leading laboratory for rare isotope research and nuclear science education, is searching for an Information Technologist I to join the Computer Department. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to become part of an organization that is laying the groundwork for future advancements in rare isotope research and enhancing the development of science and technology professionals. The successful candidate will have an exceptional opportunity for career growth while supporting the computing activities of 500+ faculty, staff, students, and visitors working within a complex network of Windows, UNIX, and Linux computers.
Major Position Responsibilities
- Maintain the laboratory's data networks; purchase, deploy, and maintain networking equipment; plan, design, and coordinate new networking and cabling projects; maintain comprehensive network documentation
- Manage the laboratory's IP address space, including DNS and DHCP
- Manage network security and maintain the laboratory's network firewall
- Keep up with security-related computing issues and proactively take steps to ensure a secure computing environment for the laboratory
- Provide systems support for 'enterprise' software packages (Adept, Cobra, Primavera, JobBoss, Crystal Reports, Solidworks, Citrix)
- Assist with day-to-day management of the linux and Windows computing infrastructure
- Provide general computing support to the laboratory staff
- This position involves working in a highly dynamic team environment supporting a 24/7/365 data center. Duties associated with this position may include working on a video display terminal 75 percent of the time, walking, lifting, bending and stooping, carrying, pushing, and reaching
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or computer information systems
- One to three years of post-degree related and progressively more responsible
or expansive work experience providing support for TCP/IP networks and network services, and linux and Windows servers, services, and systems
- Strong understanding of IP networking, including familiarity with common networking devices like managed switches and firewalls; and the ability to analyze network behavior, performance and application issues using standard tools such as tcpdump and wireshark
- Experience with Active Directory and/or other directory services
- Experience installing, configuring, administering and supporting servers running Microsoft Windows Server and/or linux
- Fluency in at least one scripting/coding language
- Ability to work with export controlled items
- Strong troubleshooting skills, including hardware diagnostics
- Strong written and communication skills
- Strong documentation skills
- Strong preference for working in a team
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic learning environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects, activities and tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrable project management skills
- Experience with formal change management procedures
MSU employees receive excellent benefits including health/dental plans, a generous retirement plan, and educational assistance. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and person with disabilities.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please go www.jobs.msu.edu, search for posting number 7655 and follow the application process.
About MSU, FRIB and NSCL
Michigan State University is the nation's eighth-largest university and has been selected by the US Department of Energy (DOE) to design and establish the FRIB, a future DOE Office of Science national user facility (www.frib.msu.edu ). The National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory (www.nscl.msu.edu) is funded under a cooperative agreement with the U.S. National Science Foundation and will continue its mission until FRIB is established. Michigan State University is located in East Lansing, Michigan, which is part of the greater Lansing area which is consistently recognized for its outstanding quality of life, diversified economy, skilled workforce, Big Ten university sporting events and abundant cultural events(www.purelansing.com).
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.